Asbestos Removal and Silica Dust Removal
So you’ve found asbestos on your property. Not ideal, but it happens. The first step is not to panic. The second step is to call a licensed Class-B asbestos removalist – like us.
We’ve carried out safe asbestos disposal all over Melbourne, Geelong, Ballarat and western Victoria. ‘Safe’ being the operative word. We’ve got a 24-hour call-out service, so we’re available any time, and our shiny fleet of trucks, excavators, vacuums and forklifts are all OHS-approved. Trust us, we’ve seen it all: asbestos in roofs, walls and cladding, asbestos-contaminated soil, silica dust, bad heater and boiler flues. Whatever’s the problem, we can whip up a quote within 24-hours, and we’ll beat any competitor’s price by 10%.
Here’s a few of our asbestos removal services:
- Residential Asbestos Removal: We’ll safely dispose of asbestos in your roof, walls, splash backs, eves or vinyl tiles.
- Commercial Asbestos Removal: If you’ve found asbestos-containing materials (ACMs) in your warehouse or worksite, we’re licensed for Class-B removal.
- Fences, Sheds and Garages: Asbestos is pretty common in sheds and garages. Call us for a comprehensive asbestos inspection.
- Asbestos Contaminated Soil: Soil contamination is a real health risk if the fibres become airborne. This usually happens on worksites where asbestos is not removed correctly.
- Silica Dust Removal: People working around silica dust have an increased risk of lung cancer. It usually becomes airborne when crushing bricks, tiles or concrete. We can recommend silica dust safety precautions and help with any large-scale dust removal.
Do you inspect for Asbestos?
No sorry we don't. You need an Asbestos Hygienist to inspect your property and conduct an audit. If you find that you do in fact have Asbestos, then give us a call and we'll get rid of it for you.
Can I remove asbestos myself?
Definitely not. Asbestos should only be handled and disposed of by a licensed Class-A or Class-B asbestos removalist. Please never try to remove asbestos yourself.
How dangerous is asbestos?
Asbestos is a group of naturally-occurring fibrous silicate materials, and it was used a lot in the Australian building industry between the 1940s and 1980s. When the fibres become airborne, they can be inhaled, and this can cause serious medical problems, including lung cancer and even death. It’s not something you want in your home or anywhere near your worksite.
What license is required to remove asbestos?
Anyone removing asbestos in Victoria needs either a Class-A or Class-B license. They generally also need to notify Worksafe before carrying out any asbestos removal. Class-A removals include friable asbestos, non-friable asbestos and asbestos-contaminated dust. Class-B removals are only licensed for non-friable asbestos and asbestos-contaminated dust. You can learn more about asbestos removal licenses here.
How much does it cost to remove asbestos?
It’s hard to say without knowing the scale of the contamination. The best thing to do is ring us for a quote. We can give you a figure within 24-hours.
Should asbestos be removed?
The short answer, as you may have guessed, is yes. Especially if the sheets are deteriorating and asbestos fibres are being dispersed into the air. If the asbestos is non-friable (which means bonded and embedded in concrete) the danger is less immediate, but you should still get the asbestos removed as soon as possible.
How do I know if my site has asbestos?
The only way to know for sure is to get a licensed asbestos inspection and look at samples under a microscope. Having said that, it’s always better to err on the cautious side. If you think you may have found asbestos, contact us for a site inspection. Better safe than sorry.
How long does silica dust stay in the air?
It depends how much dust is being produced. The mandatory limit for silica dust exposure in Australia is 0.1mg/m3 averaged over an eight hour day. You can find plenty of good advice, and practical safety tips, on Worksafe’s website.
Is silica dust combustible?
Generally no. Silica dust is inert, which means it shouldn’t burn or pose a fire risk. However, it’s often hard to know exactly what constitutes dust on a worksite, and many other particles are combustible. If in doubt, carry out a licensed air quality inspection.